posted to status updates via twitter on nov 8th, 2018 and commented on 17 times

Kevin Burke (authentic, via ) on november 8th, 2018 at 15:31:12:

I just ordered a 2015 MBP from Newegg for exactly this reason. Can't get them from http://apple.com anymore

Rich Seymour (authentic, via ) on november 8th, 2018 at 15:33:18:

i can't even deal with long keythrows after about a day on mine. less movement the better. when I first used it it felt like I was punching through the keys though.

joshua stein (authentic, via ) on november 8th, 2018 at 15:38:27:

Any non-butterfly-switch Apple keyboard has long throws?

Rich Seymour (authentic, via ) on november 8th, 2018 at 15:39:44:

nothing close to what a Cherry MX mechanical would have. I've gotten over it myself. Touchbar sucks tho.

joshua stein (authentic, via ) on november 8th, 2018 at 15:45:01:

At least the MBA retains the Fn row and Escape key, but has TouchID. I'm not sure if Apple will drop the Touchbar-less MBP now that the MBA is basically that.

Rich Seymour (authentic, via ) on november 8th, 2018 at 15:46:13:

yea, i'm hoping in a year or two there will be smarter apps for the touchbar, i don't hate it, but it's like having the responsiveness of an old android phone UI attached to a mac.

awlnx (authentic, via ) on november 10th, 2018 at 10:50:44:

@jcs Ever tried #BetterTouchTool? At least it makes the touchbar less useless. https://folivora.ai

Rich Seymour (authentic, via ) on november 10th, 2018 at 10:54:29:

@jcs I've looked at it, but I didn't want to go 3rd party right off the bat. Do you like it?

awlnx (authentic, via ) on november 10th, 2018 at 10:56:44:

@jcs Yep, I really like it as you can overwrite basically every app to your custom touchbar stuff. Especially for annoying shortcuts in IDEs etc it's perfect ;).

Bojan Nastic (authentic, via ) on november 8th, 2018 at 16:33:45:

No good keyboards on laptops any more, in general. Thinkpad is just as big a step down from earlier quality. Physics sucks.

Aaron Bieber (authentic, via ) on november 8th, 2018 at 20:25:10:

I typed one one today. I had no idea they were so bad!! Have you tried the folio kbd on the iPad case thinger?

joshua stein (authentic, via ) on november 8th, 2018 at 22:18:55:

I have it for the older 10" iPad Pro, it's equally as dead feeling and even weirder because the keys have a textured vinyl surface.

Jorge Blanco (authentic, via ) on november 8th, 2018 at 21:24:18:

Agreed! I keep saying that the 2015 15” MBP is the best laptop Apple has ever made

ax🦃n (authentic, via ) on november 8th, 2018 at 22:52:34:

$NEWJOB provisioned a 2017 15" Touchbar MBP to me. Trackpad is awful. Keyboard is worse. Touch bar is off-the-rails neurotic. It gets a Model-M and Logi MX Master 2S at home, and a (not as insufferable) aluminum Apple keyboard/magic mouse 2 at the office.

Ivo Marino (authentic, via ) on november 9th, 2018 at 02:56:35:

I've just sold it, got a ThinkPad, works.

DrBantan (authentic, via ) on november 9th, 2018 at 10:14:32:

I'm guessing it will get better when people stop buying into crappy products because there's an apple on it.

the network is just an abstraction layer (authentic, via ) on november 10th, 2018 at 10:04:59:

@vermaden soldered-down RAM & flash killed the deal for me
how hard would it have been to put two M.2 NVMe slots in the new Mac Mini?
My Lenovo ThinkStation has them, & it's smaller.