posted to status updates via twitter on aug 31st, 2018 and commented on 20 times

James … Powell (authentic, via ) on august 31st, 2018 at 16:48:43:

Great write-up! Here’s my write-up on Linux support, which largely mirrors your experience: https://www.reddit.com/r/SurfaceLinux/comments/94hjxv/surface_go_first_impressions/

joshua stein (authentic, via ) on august 31st, 2018 at 16:52:47:

Thanks for your Reddit post! I actually used that to justify buying mine in the first place because I saw MS switched away from Marvell WiFi chips for the Go.

James … Powell (authentic, via ) on august 31st, 2018 at 16:53:41:

That Qualcomm WiFi is soooo good, don’t you think?

James … Powell (authentic, via ) on august 31st, 2018 at 16:53:05:

I wonder how hard it will be to get in touch with @panos_panay and convince @surface to lend the community a hand in improving Linux/BSD support.

These are really top notch devices, and I know a lot of devs who would get one if we could polish some of the rough spots.

The Best Linux Blog In the Unixverse (authentic, via ) on september 1st, 2018 at 06:16:33:

Good Linux review. How is the battery life? Is it good as original Win10? Personally, I stated with Thinkpad series and recently Asus for my Linux needs.

4mig4 (authentic, via ) on september 1st, 2018 at 00:32:02:

The only annoying thing is the prominent Microsoft that can forutnately easily be covered by an OpenBSD sticker :)

Francis Tribala (authentic, via ) on september 1st, 2018 at 06:04:02:

I run windows 10 on the librem 13.

Betamove (authentic, via ) on september 1st, 2018 at 06:30:36:

Wifi, Bluetooth and I buy one...

Yasir Din (authentic, via ) on september 1st, 2018 at 14:02:35:

Great post. You say you like the constraints small devices place on you—could you share what some of these are? (I'm interested since, for development, I find I'm generally more productive when limiting screen usage)

joshua stein (authentic, via ) on september 1st, 2018 at 15:37:19:

I find large screens distracting. Using virtual desktops and a window manager lets me focus on one thing at a time. I think more developers should use slow machines (and network connections) so they know what it's like for others to use the stuff they make.

joshua stein (authentic, via ) on september 1st, 2018 at 15:38:04:

Otherwise we get things like Electron

Phil Howard (authentic, via ) on september 3rd, 2018 at 09:26:46:

I tend to use large screens a lot of the time- but I find myself zeroed into a terminal doing one specific task. As long as I can enter The Zone it's all good. I'd love a compact Linux system though- so I've got my eye on the Go.

Yasir Din (authentic, via ) on september 9th, 2018 at 10:27:56:

And, in my case, I've found that probability of getting in the zone is higher with limited screen usage

SierraX (authentic, via ) on september 2nd, 2018 at 02:05:25:

Good to know... then a searching for BT Keyboards on my GPD Win 2 is useless.
But the type Cover you use... is it still working? Thought this is also connected by BT pic.twitter.com/xnN8clYubm

SierraX (authentic, via ) on september 2nd, 2018 at 02:27:22:

Oh... again questions before reading the whole article...
please forget the question.

UB (authentic, via ) on september 2nd, 2018 at 17:08:05:

Nice work Josh. Not sure how you have time to document this stuff with that new baby of your's.

Can you post a dmesg?

parv (authentic, via ) on september 4th, 2018 at 05:55:50:

Thank you, Joshua, for both your write up & OpenBSD work. I'm in search of a smaller, lighter 'puter (10-11" screen) than Thinkpad X260. Working camera would be nice to have on the Surface Go, but WiFi is essential. So far I have only use FreeBSD (out of {Net,Free,Open}BSD).

parv (authentic, via ) on september 4th, 2018 at 06:34:28:

Correction: last sentence should be "So far I have only used ...".

ρατrιck κηοο RCX 🍇🍷 (authentic, via ) on september 6th, 2018 at 15:38:46: